California Property Division Lawyer for Men

Couples going through a divorce or separating from a long term relationship must decide how to divide their property and debts—or sometimes, ask a court to do it for them.


Under California's community property laws, assets and debts spouses acquire during marriage belong equally to both of them, and they must divide them equally in a divorce. (Cal. Fam. Code § 2581) Some couples are able to agree on how to divide all their property and debts, like deciding who gets the house in a divorce. Couples who can't manage this will end up going to court to ask for a decision from an arbitrator or a judge.

Whether you handle your own property division, or a court handles it for you, there are three crucial steps to the process: 1) determine whether the property (or debt) is community or separate; 2) agree on a value for community property; and 3) decide how to divide the property.

Navigating Men Through Dividing Community and Separate Property Quickly and Effectively in Orange, Riverside, or San Bernardino Counties

Property one spouse owned alone, before the marriage, or acquired by gift or inheritance during the marriage, is that spouse's separate property in California. Separate property also generally includes items purchased with or exchanged for separate property, earnings on separate property, and any increase in the value of separate property, as long as the property owner can prove the claim with financial records or other documents. Separate property belongs to the spouse who owns it and is not generally divided in a divorce

California law also provides that property spouses acquire before a divorce, but after the date of separation, is separate property. (Cal. Fam. Code § 2622.) The date of separation is not necessarily the date one spouse moves out of the marital home. Instead, it's the date that one spouse decides to end the marriage, and it requires some act of physical separation combined with other actions clearly demonstrating that the spouse has decided to end the marriage.

 Hire a Reel Fathers Rights Divorce Attorney Today

Put a Father's Rights Property Division Attorney for Men on your side today: By a Father, Designed for Fathers. At Reel Father's Rights we focus solely on representing men in divorce and fathers in child custody proceedings in California. If you reside in Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside or San Bernardino Counties, give us a call today at (951)223-1058 or Request a consultation digitally here.

Prefer to Call or Text? Reach us at


California Divorce Resources